According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, breastfeeding can satisfy all your infant’s nutritional needs for the first six months of life. But it’s about more than just feeding — it also creates quality bonding time with your child that comforts them and nurtures feelings of safety, security and love.
The journey to successful latching and feeding is different for each new mom. But there are a few general guidelines to follow:
- Put your baby skin-to-skin and to the breast as soon as possible after birth
- Use washable or disposable nursing pads; avoid plastic-lined pads
- Watch your infant, not the clock; your baby should nurse eight to 12 times a day
- You do not need to wash your breast before or after breastfeeding
When to Seek Help
Know that many women experience ups and downs when it comes to breastfeeding. If you’re struggling, you’re not alone — but we can help. A lactation consultant may be useful if you’re faced with any of the following:
- Abrasions or trauma to nipples
- Baby has not regained birth weight by two weeks
- Baby is unable to correctly latch due to fullness of breasts/areolar tissue
- Less than six wet diapers in a 24-hour period
- Little or no swallowing in 48 to 72 hours
- Nipple soreness continued past seven days
- No change in the fullness of breasts after feeding has ended
- Unable to wake baby for feedings
4 Easy Ways to Get Help
The Breastfeeding Center at AdventHealth for Women is available to new moms and is staffed by our certified lactation consultants. To discuss breastfeeding issues, please call 407-303-7650 to speak with one of our consultants. The Breastfeeding Center is open 9:00 am – 4:00 pm Monday through Friday.
The Baby Bunch
The Baby Bunch is a weekly gathering designed for moms of young babies from newborn to 12 months old. The group is a welcoming community for all mothers, with helpful discussions on feeding options, infant development and maternal health. This is a great way to meet moms just like yourself.
The Baby Bunch meets weekly at four convenient Central Florida locations. Registration is recommended but not required to reserve your spot. The Baby Bunch fees are $8 per meeting, or three meetings for $20. Cost of this class is for mom and baby. Lunch is provided. To register online, please select a location:
Breastfeeding Support Group Session
Our breastfeeding support group sessions are led by a board-certified lactation consultant who can answer your questions, provide consultation, arrange for breast-pump rentals and establish a breastfeeding relationship that is comfortable and healthy for both mother and baby.
One-on-one breastfeeding consultations are designed for moms who need extended, private assistance to ensure successful breastfeeding. As always, our certified lactation consultants are committed to helping you work through the challenges that come with feeding time. Breastfeeding consultation is by appointment only, and in some cases can be billed to insurance. To schedule an appointment, please call 407-303-7650.